Senior Manager of Learning and Development (Boston, San Francisco, Seattle or Washington, DC)
FSG is a mission-driven consulting firm supporting leaders in creating large-scale, lasting social change. At FSG, we envision a world where people unite to create enduring social change and our social group identities no longer predict our life outcomes. We leverage a wide range of perspectives, experiences, and skills to more deeply understand the systems we seek to transform, and we partner across sectors to reimagine and accelerate a more equitable and sustainable future. We seek to better understand the underlying causes of disparity and the way those factors influence our colleagues, partners, and clients—as well as the communities we serve.
At FSG, our people are our most valuable asset. We recognize that supporting our staff’s professional growth and development, both individually and collectively, is vital to the ongoing success of our firm. We are seeking a Senior Manager of Learning and Development who can enhance our culture of continuous learning, professional growth, and supportive feedback at all levels of the firm in order to help us make progress against the world’s toughest problems.
In partnership with other members of the People Team and the firm’s leadership, the Senior Manager of Learning and Development will lead the creation and implementation of the firm’s training strategy in order to support, develop, retain, and advance diverse talent. In this role, the Senior Manager of Learning and Development will also support broader professional development efforts the People Team pursues in support of the staff. This role will report to the Director of People Development.
- Craft training strategy for the firm that is both differentiated and flexible
- Partner with leadership and staff to understand major learning and development needs across the firm, with particular attention to growing competencies in systems thinking and equity
- Ensure all aspects of FSG’s training strategy program incorporates and strengthens our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at FSG and in our work
- Apply different learning theory / models, leverage best practices, and maintain knowledge of cutting-edge approaches in developing diverse talent
- Create and cultivate a portfolio of internal and external professional development opportunities and resources including virtual and in-person trainings, conferences, learning tools, and coaching and mentorship programs for all levels and divisions
- Lead the execution of trainings and professional development programs, including onboarding for new staff and ongoing learning opportunities for existing staff
- Lead the development and facilitation of interactive and dynamic trainings either directly or in partnership with subject matter experts (internally or externally), including the planning and execution of the annual firm retreat
- Ensure equity and inclusion principles are embedded in all trainings and professional development processes
- Evaluate effectiveness of professional development offerings; share learnings with broader People Team and the firm
- Maximize impact of training and professional development programs through thoughtful communication, outreach, trainings and sharing of resources and offerings
- Coach, mentor, and manage junior members of the People Team involved in these efforts
- Manage professional development budget
- Collaborate with other members of the People Team to strengthen our ability to effectively develop and retain a diverse workforce and cultivate an equitable and inclusive organizational culture
- Identify trends related to performance and / or workload across the firm; collaborate to create strategies to address any issues (i.e. trainings, coaching, communications to firm, etc.)
- Collaborate with the Senior Manager of Staffing and the Director of the People Team to support the creation of individual action plans as needed
- Coach staff on career progression
- Leverage insights from key inputs (e.g., annual firm survey, exit data, etc.) to inform and develop relevant retention strategies with an equity-based approach
- 6-8 years of professional development (or related) experience
- Demonstrated commitment to equity; experience considering and applying equity and inclusion principles in design or execution of professional development strategy
- Knowledge of different professional development strategies and familiarity with a wide range of learning methodologies (e.g., mentoring, coaching, on-the-job or in-class room training, e-learning, simulations); track record of designing and executing successful professional development programs for a diverse array of learning styles
- Proven ability to work collaboratively in a team environment where sharing of insights and knowledge to drive impact is expected and celebrated
- Curiosity, a learning orientation and an entrepreneurial spirit; a willingness to experiment in order to increase effectiveness
- Excellent written and verbal communication and facilitation skills
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in industrial / organizational psychology, organizational development, or related field a plus
In addition, the candidate will be:
- Passionate about developing others and helping them grow on their professional journey
- Someone who possess strong emotional intelligence and empathy
- A strategic thinker who can keep the big picture in mind while delivering on the details
- A strong project manager who anticipates problems in advance as part of a solutions-oriented approach
- An effective and inspirational leader with experience coaching and managing people
- Extremely organized and able to balance multiple priorities with ease
- Comfortable working in a collaborative fast-paced, and highly professional environment
- Knowledgeable about FSG’s work and social change
- An enthusiastic ambassador for FSG, representing our mission and values with staff
This is a full-time position based in one of FSG’s US offices (Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, or Washington, DC). Salary is competitive for position and non-profit sector; it also includes a generous benefits package. As part of those benefits, FSG offers health insurance with 100% of premiums covered by FSG for its full-time, US employees as well as disability and life insurance and a 401(k) retirement plan with employer match. Note: visa sponsorship is not available for our US offices. In addition, we are unable to support the OPT Training visa, as this visa will eventually require sponsorship.
Please submit a cover letter (indicating office preference) and your resume via our online application system by clicking the "Apply for this position" button below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
FSG is a mission-driven consulting firm supporting leaders in creating large-scale, lasting social change. Through strategy, evaluation, and research we help many types of actors – individually and collectively – make progress against the world’s toughest problems.
Our teams work across all sectors and our clients include leading foundations, businesses, nonprofits and governments in every region of the globe. We seek to reimagine social change by identifying ways to maximize the impact of existing resources, amplifying the work of others to help advance knowledge and practice, and inspiring change agents around the world to achieve greater impact.
As part of our nonprofit mission, FSG also directly supports learning communities, such as the Collective Impact Forum, Impact Hiring Initiative, and the Shared Value Initiative, to provide the tools and relationships that change agents need to be successful.