FSG is a mission-driven consulting firm supporting leaders in creating large-scale, lasting social change. Through strategy, evaluation, and research we help many types of actors – individually and collectively – make progress against the world’s toughest problems.
Our teams work across all sectors by partnering with leading foundations, businesses, nonprofits and governments in every region of the globe. We seek to reimagine social change by identifying ways to maximize the impact of existing resources, amplifying the work of others to help advance knowledge and practice, and inspiring change agents around the world to achieve greater impact.
About the Program to Improve Private Pre-School Education (PIPE)
FSG launched PIPE in early 2015. This six year, multi-phase program seeks to address the fact that low-income households in India are increasingly demanding early childhood education (ECE) for their children, and are willing to pay for it, but are currently receiving extremely poor quality from the market. Recognizing the massive potential for social impact of high-quality ECE, the PIPE aims to help catalyze the scaling of affordable, high-quality, private sector ECE provision in urban India.
The program is currently supported by the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, Omidyar Network, UBS Optimus Foundation, Central Square Foundation, and the Douglas B. Marshall Jr. Family Foundation.
Program Manager (Mumbai, India)
The Program Manager will be an integral part of the PIPE team. The role combines elements of financial budgeting and reporting, funder and relationship management, applying for grants, disseminating information about and findings from the Program, as well as supporting recruiting efforts for the Program.
The Program Manager will work closely with the Programs senior leadership (Managing Director, Director, and Associate Director) and is likely to oversee and manage the work of a Program Coordinator. The role has a ‘learn and adapt’ design, so the responsibilities are expected to evolve over time.
1. Fund-raising (Domestic and International) (25%)
- Develop/adapt the strategy and approach towards fundraising along with PIPE senior leadership and take the lead in strategy execution
- Create grant applications and review funding contracts
- Assist PIPE senior leadership to prepare for key meetings (research on companies via web, phone, prequalification meetings, sending pre-reads, and follow-up material)
- Track engagement with key potential funders
2. Existing Funder and Partner management (35%)
- Develop forward-looking budgets, once every 6 months
- Track actual expenses against budgets, once every 3 months
- Create report to Funders (Financial and Narrative)
- Create contracts (and ensure compliance) and manage payments for vendors that are working with PIPE (e.g. third party organizations that conduct quality assessments or Monitoring & Evaluation of PIPEs work)
- Support with existing funder relationship management, including maintenance of a funder tracker; this may involve planning for funder update meetings
- Define rules and priorities for broad-based relationship management; this would involve identifying key stakeholders, assigning responsibilities across the PIPE team, and periodically revisiting rules
- Work with Program Coordinator to maintain relationship / dissemination database and track progress, on a monthly basis
- Manage planning, logistics, and attend periodic funder update meetings
3. Dissemination (20%)
- Develop high-impact content packages, borrowing from existing PIPE work that may be disseminated through various means – email, microsite, events, blogs, articles / publications, etc.
- Co-manage PIPE microsite and PIPE-related blogs with Program Coordinator and FSG Communications team – uploading content, responding to queries, etc.
- Oversee Program Coordinator in managing logistics and planning for events organized by PIPE
- Identify key events (domestic and international) that PIPE ought to participate in, key publications that PIPE ought to contribute to, obtain necessary leads, and work with the Program Coordinator to manage planning and logistics
- Undertake targeted dissemination of select content to key stakeholders, based on needs identified by PIPE team
4. Knowledge management (15%)
- Define rules for development and maintenance of various knowledge management trackers, databases, and media
- Update trackers, databases and other media along with the Program Coordinator
- Develop various narratives and documents to describe PIPE (overview, status, progress, learnings, impact, etc.)
- Collaborate with funders and partners to regularly exchange information on companies in the ECE space and insights from working in the ECE and APS market
5. Recruiting (5%)
- Work with senior leadership define the need for new hires on PIPE
- Assist recruitment team to develop and drive a process for new hires
- Work with senior leadership to update and renew contracts for existing contractual staff on PIPE
Education and experience
- A graduate degree, preferably an MBA or CA
- 5-10 years of experience in large professional corporations
- 2-3 years of experience working directly with CXO / MD level personnel
- Experience as a manager/senior level consultant at an audit or management consulting firm or mid-manager experience at large corporates in areas such as the financial services, manufacturing, or consumer goods industries
- Experience in variety of functions such as audit, strategic finance (e.g. investments, M&A), marketing, or strategy
- Strong interest in working towards social impact. An interest in education and or ECE desirable but not required
Skills and personal qualities
- This position is a good fit for professionals who are resourceful, responsible, tenacious, independent, and self-confident. In addition, a successful candidate will have:
- Very good process management, tracking, and ability to work under pressure
- Very strong written communication skills that will be utilized towards activities such as drafting and sending critical emails to Funders and partners, writing program updates for external audiences, as well as writing white papers and articles.
- Ability to work across teams, collate information, and manage processes across 3-5 work streams
- Ability to lead and effectively manage 1-2 member team
- Good proficiency in using Excel, Word, and PowerPoint to aid in the development of budgets, financial reporting documents, white papers, and internal/external updates
- Moderate analytical skills and ability to have foresight for upcoming gaps and needs that PIPE may have at a programmatic level
This is a flexible full-time position based in FSG’s Mumbai office (work hours are flexible). Salary is competitive for position and sector. FSG also provides a generous benefits package including health insurance, with the premium paid in full by FSG.
The Program Manager will be part of a team impacting the lives of low income urban households in India, with in-depth exposure to all aspects of an innovative social impact program. The role provides enhanced learning opportunities through program-wide immersion within a startup environment.
The preceding position description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the employees assigned to this job.