FSG is a mission-driven consulting firm supporting leaders in creating large-scale, lasting social change. Through strategy, evaluation, and research we help many types of actors – individually and collectively – make progress against the world’s toughest problems.
Our teams work across all sectors by partnering with leading foundations, businesses, nonprofits, and governments in every region of the globe. We seek to reimagine social change by identifying ways to maximize the impact of existing resources, amplifying the work of others to help advance knowledge and practice, and inspiring change agents around the world to achieve greater impact.
As part of our nonprofit mission, FSG also directly supports learning communities, such as the Collective Impact Forum and the Shared Value Initiative, to provide the tools and relationships that change agents need to be successful.
Associate Director (Mumbai, India)
Associate Directors in FSG’s Mumbai office will primarily work in our Inclusive Markets approach area. Our Inclusive Markets approach leverages innovative business models to help address the problems of global poverty by providing the poor with beneficial products and better livelihoods. Projects range from market-building programs that involve direct engagement with entrepreneurs and low-income customers, to research projects where we investigate important issues and publish cutting-edge content for a global audience.
Associate Directors in the Mumbai office typically play three key roles – developing and executing social action programs, contributing to the generation and dissemination of field-building knowledge, and leading various local office development activities. Playing these roles involves the following responsibilities:
- Managing one or more project teams to address client and social-action program specific needs:
- Developing detailed work-plans for project work-streams and deliverables
- Designing and overseeing research and analysis approaches to answer key questions in the project mandate
- Developing appropriate frameworks to identify key learnings and strategic recommendations out of the project team’s data gathering and analysis
- Ensuring effective communication of the team’s findings and deliverables
- Overseeing professional development of team members and providing coaching as needed
- Supporting and advising operating partners as they implement recommendations
- Collaborating with FSG colleagues who may be involved in relevant parts of the project across other offices
- Working collaboratively with FSG India leadership to identify and build areas of social impact
- Advancing the intellectual capital of the firm, and finding ways to help FSG meet its own mission to advance the pace of social change
- Building and managing relationships between FSG India and clients, funders and partners
- Representing FSG India at external forums (e.g., conferences and workshops)
- Contributing to business development
- Building the firm’s culture and infrastructure:
- Serving as a leader within the Mumbai office and mentoring junior staff
- Supporting formal firm-building initiatives (e.g., recruiting and training)
- Participating in social / culture-building activities.
Education & Experience:
- A graduate degree (e.g., MBA, PhD, MPP, or MPA) strongly preferred
- Prior experience in strategy consulting (5-7 years) or at a blue-chip corporate (6-8 years) or other relevant experience. Ideal candidates will have experience managing complex projects that require analysis, client management, and strategic planning
- Strong demonstrated interest in working for (or learning about) social impact
- Experience of living, studying or working in a developing country – familiarity with India strongly desired
- Academic and/or practical grounding in business strategy, marketing, finance and operations, and related analytical techniques
- Excellent academic credentials for undergraduate coursework and graduate coursework (if applicable)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Fluency in English is required
- Proficiency in Hindi and other Indian languages is a plus
- Experience of managing multiple work streams and teams
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint
- Excited to tackle the tough challenges of poverty and drive social chance
- Intellectually curious, insightful, and creative yet analytically rigorous
- Emotionally intelligent – able to build strong relationships that inspire openness and trust; to collaborate in teamwork settings with colleagues and clients; and to balance inquiry and advocacy in all personal interactions
- Comfortable working on difficult, complex and ambiguous problems where there may be no definitive ‘right answer’
- Capable of working on multiple, overlapping tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Able to take initiative and drive work with moderate supervision and guidance
- Ability to travel domestically or internationally up to 30% of the time (travel requirement varies considerably by project)
This is a full-time position based in FSG’s Mumbai office. Salary is competitive for position and sector. FSG also provides a generous benefits package including health insurance with the premium paid in full by FSG.
- To apply please submit your CV and a cover letter addressed to Parendim Bamji via by clicking the "Apply for this Position" button below
- Start dates may be negotiated based on candidate preference and FSG’s requirements