DAS is the leading provider of Legal Expense Insurance, a relatively new class of insurance in Canada, providing Canadians with:
- Financial protection from costly legal expenses
- Ability to defend or pursue their legal rights
- Unlimited access to legal advice
We are looking for an individual that is passionate about taking a hands-on-role in building the legal expense insurance market in Canada, working closely with other team members, related companies and vendors.
You are enthusiastic and embrace the challenges of working in a smaller, fast-paced, entrepreneurial insurance company. That dynamic, along with many other reasons, is why 100% of DAS Canada staff recently voted we are a GREAT PLACE TO WORK!
This is an exceptional opportunity to join a growing business offering a dynamic workplace, where the 12 month contract may lead to a permanent position.
- Preparation of monthly financial statements and commentary.
- Responsible for full accounting cycle including journal entries, bank and other account reconciliation, intercompany reconciliations, investment accounts and reinsurance.
- Oversight and backup for statutory reporting (OSFI and provinces).
- Oversight and backup for ERGO (parent company) reporting.
- Responsible for ensuring corporate and other taxes are calculated, filed and remitted properly.
- Manage interim and annual external audit process; and regulatory audits, as necessary.
- Participate in the preparation of the company’s financial plans.
- Research and implement new accounting or reporting requirements in accordance with Canadian GAAP, OSFI and IAS.
- Lead and/or participate with special projects as required.
- Accounting designation
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in financial planning and reporting
- Strong business acumen, technical skills, excellent analytical, problem solving and communication skills
- Insurance industry experience is highly desirable
- Motivated, Pro-active, and fast learner.
- Demonstrates the highest degree of professional ethics, honesty and integrity.
- A key element to this candidate’s success and assimilation into the DAS team will be his or her ability to embrace and embody our values. To become a part of this team, he/she must:
- Exhibit a passion for playing an integral role in an entrepreneurial operation.
- Possess the confidence, astute business sense, and superior communication skills that are essential to success within this dynamic, high-performance organization.
- Be energetic, focused and thrive on the challenges associated with fast-paced, growing environments.
- Be assertive but not obstinate, outgoing and enthusiastic, and has the tenacity required to get people on side in order to get the job done.
- Be innovative and solutions-oriented.
- Be a team player with a consensus building yet results-oriented style.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Munich Re.
Munich Re Canada is committed to providing a work environment that is inclusive and free of employment barriers and discrimination. Accommodations will be made for qualified applicants with a disability throughout the recruitment process. If you receive a request for an interview and you have a disability which will require an accommodation to support your participation, please consult with human resources or contact AODARequestHR@munichre.ca as soon as practical so that suitable accommodations can be arranged.