On-Call Interpreters, American Sign Language (ASL)
Valbin Corporation is a leading language service provider to the government and private sector and is dedicated to delivering superior linguistic, analytical and cultural services to the diplomatic, defense, intelligence and business sectors.
We are currently collecting applications and resumes for potential candidates for American Sign Language (ASL) interpreters, to serve at an on-call basis in order to respond to individual requests to interpret meetings, presentations, and other events for deaf and hard-of-hearing clients.
POSITION SUMMARY: The on-call interpreter will respond to requests for availability/interest from the Sign Language Coordinator in order to confirm participation in prospective and scheduled interpretation assignments from various clients. The interpreter will then coordinate to arrive on customer's site no later than 15 minutes before each assignment in order to prepare to interpret. During this time, the interpreter will simultaneously interpret from spoken English to American Sign Language, as well as from American Sign Language to spoken English.
JOB LOCATION: Various, throughout greater Washington DC metropolitan area
DATES (Tentative): Dependent on individual task orders
- Interpret from spoken English to ASL
- Interpret from ASL to spoken English
- Arrive promptly at customer locations
- Submit invoices for work performed in a timely fashion
- MUST have own means of transportation to travel to and from various customer locations
- MUST pass a Background Check
- MUST possess at least National Interpreter Certification (NIC) or equivalent qualification (must demonstrate equivalency and applicability to professional qualifications)
- PLUS if additional RID (Registry for Interpreters for the Deaf)-recognized certifications\\
- PLUS if acquired 3-5 years of interpretation experience