Assistant, Corporate & Foundation Relations
The Assistant will work with Assistant Manager(s) and the Manager of Institutional Giving to plan, develop, and implement the solicitation of corporate sponsorships, foundation grants, and government support—both restricted and unrestricted—for the Kennedy Center's major artistic and educational programming and annual fundraising events.
The Assistant will generate solicitations and donor correspondence on behalf of Kennedy Center senior staff, ensure fulfillment of donor benefits by liaising with contributors via phone and email, track giving levels and renewal schedules, maintain proper donor crediting, research funding prospects, and utilize departmental systems with regards to gift processing, solicitation tracking, and the storing/maintenance of donor information.
The Assistant must be able to exercise discretion in order to prioritize assignments and work under significant pressure, as many projects are time sensitive and involve concurrent deadlines and donor interaction. An eagerness to communicate and problem-solve with a positive attitude is essential.
35% Provide proactive customer service to current corporate, foundation and government donors to Kennedy Center. This includes: (a) interacting via phone and email with new and current donors to ensure that they are aware of the benefits available to them; (b) managing donor ticketing needs; and (c) managing signage and recognition approval process between donor and the Kennedy Center’s Marketing, Press and IT Departments.
20% Research funding prospects for programs and for special events; create research briefs for Kennedy Center senior staff and Board members. Identify opportunities to further cultivate current donors/sponsors at all levels, helping to ensure their continued interest in and goodwill toward the Kennedy Center.
20% Process gifts: write/generate acknowledgement letters, tax receipts and membership cards, assemble copies for files.
15% Utilize and maintain the Tessitura database and other systems in tracking solicitations and donor information.
10% Prepare fundraising proposals and ensure fulfillment of proposed sponsor/donor benefits. Prepare detailed final reports for contributors; includes the gathering and submission of financial information and budgets. Follow-up with prospects about solicitations; answer questions and track progress.
• Bachelor's degree is required
• Minimum of 1 year development experience required
• Working knowledge of the performing arts is preferred
Minimum Skills and/or Knowledge Required:
• The candidate must have the ability and confidence to work without close supervision, to foresee development needs, and to generate work for this position and for others supportive of this position including an intern.
• This position requires superior organizational and interpersonal skills and written and verbal communications.
• Fundraising efforts are conducted for multiple programs and events simultaneously, and the incumbent must be able to prioritize and manage many varied and time-sensitive tasks.
• Creativity and an excellent command of the English language are critical to identifying funding sources and matching their interests to projects, and to communicating persuasively, both in person and in writing, the need for funding.
• A professional and cordial demeanor, tact, and diplomacy are imperative as the candidate is regularly in contact with people at all levels of society and business including Kennedy Center leadership, high level volunteers, major donors and prospects, and other Center personnel.
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts is a world premier performing arts organization and our nation’s cultural center. Diversity is a critical component of our mission, vision, and values. Our staff exhibits a wide variety of perspectives and experiences which enable us to foster and strengthen an environment of diversity and inclusion.
Click "Apply for this Position" to submit your resume and application. If you are already logged in, you may click "Add to my Jobs" to apply using information you have previously submitted.
Submit cover letter and resume including salary requirements. Telephone inquiries will not be accepted. Qualified minorities and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply. EOE
Are you a returning applicant?
If you have applied for a position at the Kennedy Center since July, 2014 and created a login when you applied, please login below to easily apply for this position using the information you previously submitted. If you are already logged in, simply select the "Add to my Jobs" button above to apply for this position using the information you previously submitted.
|Back to Search Results