Security Advisor - Surge Roster/Interim
|Location:||Potential Positions (International)|
Security Advisor - Surge Roster/Interim
Location: Asia, Africa or Middle East
About RI: Relief International (RI) is a home to teams of humanitarian activist-professionals committed to transforming adversity into renewal for the world’s most vulnerable populations. By partnering with beneficiaries and communities on the front-lines, RI innovatively bridges the gap between immediate relief and long-term community development.
About RI Surge Roster Positions: We are currently accepting applications for Surge Roster/Interim positions for short-term assignments (varying from weeks to months) to manage periods of transitions within Relief International.
Occasionally, Relief International has a need to fill various interim positions including the following throughout the three Regions that Relief International services, Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
WASH Program Manager
Protection Technical Officer/Manager
Health Program Manager
Education Program Manager
If you are interested in short-term assignments and would like to be considered for future Surge Roster interim positions, please apply below. In your cover letter, please let us know your rate, length of assignment you are interested in, what country or countries you will not work in.
The overall objective of this position is to reduce the risks posed to the programme personnel and assets of all national and international RI staff and their dependents in the area to which the candidate is sent through the provision of specialized, coordinated and focused security management support. The Security Adviser will assess the security of the programmatic and operational environment and maintain an effective security management system in accordance with RI policies and standards.
This role will include ongoing threat assessment and advising on risk management; the maintenance of appropriate guidelines; and ensuring that field working practices are robust and that all staff are aware of, trained on, and adhere to these policies and procedures. Integral to the posting is the ability to work successfully with field teams to cultivate capacity and motivation, thereby ensuring field-based responsibility for security analysis and management. The Security Adviser will work with other humanitarian NGOs and main embassies security focal points as well as community leaders in areas of operations in order to facilitate and secure SCI's field missions and operations.
Key Areas of Accountability:
· Lead the process for the design and implementation of the RI Security Management System in the Surge Area.
· Advise the CD in implementation of mitigating safety and security measures.
· Conduct Security Risk Analysis (SRA) as tasked by the CD or RSA, or as situation requires, and as a result enforce to minimize the risk to the operations of NRC.
· Together with CD enforce RI operations in country to MOSS compliance as per RI guidelines.
· Conduct a full safety and security assessment in the Surge Area of operation and a risk assessment and with the technical support of the SD.
· Provide feedback and advice post-assessment on risks, strategies and good practice for safety and security management.
· Design and lead the implementation of RO’s Security Management System for RI in the Surge Area in accordance with RI security instructions, and in close communication with the SD, CD and RD. This will include security plans, SOPs and contingency plans.
· Monitor, evaluate, suggest and implement changes and improvements in the RI Security Management System based on observations and inputs from the staff.
· Training and capacity building of the national SSC & SSO.
· Deliver and/or facilitate staff safety and security trainings.
· Communicate, exchange information, and co-operate with relevant external actors in the areas of responsibility determined by the CD.
· Guide and delegate tasks to RI personnel associated with the organization’s Security Management System.
· The Security Advsior will take part in the country security, incident & crisis management team.
· Relevant university degree or higher education, preferably in international relations and/or development, political science or social studies (history/political science/social science).
· Proven, solid and relevant experience in security work, preferably in the UN or NGO environment;
· Proven military or police training and experience or formal security education;
· Demonstrated ability to work under difficult conditions and a high degree of pressure;
· Proven experience in administration, security management and training.
· Experience in liaising with civilian and military government authorities as well as with regional, national and international institutions preferable
· Significant political and cultural awareness and experience of working in settings where insecurity is a major issue
· Analytical skills and experience;
· Demonstrated leadership and management skills
· Significant understanding of complex emergencies and crisis contexts
· Awareness of gender and culture issues
· Proven communication, interpersonal and negotiation skills
· Fluency in the English language, Proficiency in the Arabic language is an asset
· Above average computer literacy
· Holder of a valid international driver’s license
· Ability to handle a large workload, work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
· Ability and willingness to work and live under difficult circumstances
· Willingness to travel to all areas of the country/region where the programme is implemented, on a regular basis
· Flexible and creative
Please submit: resume, cover letter and let us know your rate, desired length of assignment, what country or countries you will not work in, three professional supervisory references (with contact information), your date of availability.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Are you a returning applicant?
|Back to Search Results