The position of Senior Technical Production Director is a vital role within the OBE team. This individual will play a significant role within both the production and management aspects of the company. As a result, we are looking for someone who has proven experience with the areas outlined here as well as a tremendous drive to continue both their and their direct reports, personal and professional development. This person must have a proven and strong technical production background in Audio/video and Lighting areas, as well as digital and interactivite components. This person will fill the senior-most production role in our SF (Sausalito) office and manage the other producers working out of this office.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Senior Technical Production Director is responsible for all elements of production for each assigned project from start to finish. Responsibilities will include management of all production related personnel including but not limited to; other producers, outside vendors, production assistants and production coordinators. Depending upon the size and complexity of the project, this may involve running multiple projects/events simultaneously at various stages of activation.
Among other things, this person is responsible for project development, development of the overall staffing plan, managing, monitoring and maintaining the task timeline, managing multiple vendors, negotiating contracts, obtaining and managing staff and resources, budget development, management and tracking P/L, and the overall quality of projects. By working closely with our internal account teams in a collaborative manner, this person is responsible for executing the approved production-specific Scope of Work in support of client goals and objectives.
The Senior Technical Production Director will manage the San Francisco based production team. This includes, assigning and overseeing the San Francisco production team’s projects, clearly setting expectations related to level of execution, being a resource for the team at all times, providing oversight related to OBE’s policies and standard operating procedures, and along with the VP of Production, supporting each team members personal and professional development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist the business development team. To include, proof of concept, feasibility studies, financial /budget planning, RFP, RFI and capability deliverables. As well as attending pitch meetings as needed.
- Participate in, and lead, project planning and development meetings and internal/external status meetings.
- Collaborate with cross-functional internal teams in establishing the overall project plan through all project phases (GNG – Pitch – Project Dev. – Pre Production – Execution – Wrap Up) and budget within the key client deliverable dates and agreed upon Scope of Work.
- Establish and maintain best practices that meet client needs and provide continual improvement to our technical and operational based production methodologies.
- In particular, implement plans for best-in-class technical production operating procedures, staffing procedures, budget tracking, project timelines, critical paths, production schedules, Run of Show, meeting agendas, contingency and emergency actions, etc.
- Recruit, hire and manage production crews and staff for project specific work as well as potential FT hires.
- Identify, vet, and introduce new third party vendors.
- Manage, mentor and motivate production staff. In particular, provide extensive training focused on technical production topics.
- Reconcile all production budgets and prepare post event analysis of production.
- Oversee projects being led by our San Francisco based production team, ensuring projects are being executed at the highest level and exceeding our client expectations.
- In cooperation with the VP of Production, allocate production teams on projects being operated out of our San Francisco office.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in marketing, business administration, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of 7+ years direct experience in lead producing/managingprograms/events/activations within a Technical and experiential agency environment.
- Broad range of experience on projects of varying size. Small to large and even really small to really large. Both from a personnel and budget management standpoint.
- Extensive experience working with technical production partners, fabricators, and multiple vendors for complex activations.
- Extremely strong organizational, planning, managerial and client interfacing skills.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have an extremely strong and diverse experience base that directly applies to this multi-facetted, high demand position.
- Superior leadership and management skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent ability to manage internal and external crews and staff.
- Very strong client/customer service experience and focus.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to multi-task, manage priorities and commitments, and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative manner both internally, and with clients.
- Proven ability to manage projects/events within budget.
- Excellent judgment with the ability to pro-actively identify issues/obstacles and effectively create solutions.
- Ability to work independently as well as with account teams.
- Extremely strong working knowledge of and experience with contract processes, location permitting and insurance processes.
- Very strong and proven vendor relationships.
- Extremely strong work ethic and ability to thrive and enjoy a fast-paced, dynamic, on demand type work environment.
OTHER QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Excellent computer skills that include Microsoft Office (including PowerPoint and Access), smartsheet, Google Docs, Sharepoint, Adobe Suite, Trello, Slack or other project management platforms.
- CAD skills and “show-flo” type platforms a definite plus.
- Must be flexible, and comfortable, in working non-traditional hours as needed (some nights and weekends).