The position of Senior Production Director is a vital role within the OBE team. This individual will play a significant role within both the production and management aspects of the company. As a result, we are looking for someone who has proven experience with the areas outlined here as well as a tremendous drive to continue both their and their direct reports, personal and professional development.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Senior Production Director is responsible for all elements of production for each assigned project from start to finish. Responsibilities will include management of all production related personnel including but not limited to; other producers, outside vendors, production assistants and production coordinators. Depending upon the size and complexity of the project, this may involve running multiple projects/events simultaneously at various stages of activation.
This person is responsible for program development, development of the overall staffing plan, managing, monitoring and maintaining the task timeline, managing multiple vendors, negotiating contracts, obtaining and managing staff and resources, budget development, management and tracking P/L, and the overall quality of projects. By working closely with our internal account teams in a collaborative manner, this person is responsible for executing the approved production-specific Scope of Work in support of client goals and objectives.
The Senior Production Director will manage the Los Angeles based production team. This includes overseeing the team’s projects, clearly setting expectations related to level of execution, being a resource for the team at all times, providing oversight related to OBE’s policies and procedures, and supporting each team members personal and professional development.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist business development team in determining feasibility of projects and establishing production budgets for new business proposals (RFPs). Attend pitch meetings as needed.
- Serve as primary Production team contact throughout project with internal and external account teams.
- Participate in, and lead, project planning and development meetings and internal/external status meetings.
- Collaborate with VP Production in establishing the project plan and budget within the key client deliverable dates and agreed upon Scope of Work.
- Work closely with internal account teams to ensure the high quality and smooth operation of overall production and that all key deliverables are met to the clients' satisfaction.
- Establish and maintain best practices that meet client needs and provide continual improvement to our operations.
- Implement plans for staffing procedures, budget tracking, project timelines, critical paths, production schedules, Run of Show, meeting agendas, contingency and emergency actions, etc.
- Manage project production and communications and documentation of any issues, changes, or required performances that impact the project.
- Keep VP Production, internal account teams, and specific project teams, informed on a regular basis any need for revisions to budgets and estimates to complete.
- Recruit, hire and manage production crews and staff.
- Identify outside vendors needed (depends on type of event), request bids, select vendors and negotiate and obtain signed contracts. Monitor performance of vendors.
- Manage and lead all crew and staff on site, including managing and controlling all Load Ins and Load Outs.
- Manage, mentor and motivate junior production staff.
- Submit all status reports, photo/digital documentation, and other evidence of production as required by Account team and Client personnel.
- Reconcile all production budgets and prepare post event analysis of production.
- Lead Los Angeles based production team.
- Oversee Los Angeles based projects from a production side, ensuring projects are executed at the highest level and meet client expectations.
- Allocating production teams on all projects being operated out of our LA office.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelors Degree in marketing, business administration, or related field preferred.
- 7+ years direct experience in producing/managingmarketing programs/events/activations within an experiential agency environment.
- Broad range of experience on projects of varying size. Small to large and even really small to really large. Both from a personnel and budget management standpoint.
- Extensive experience working with technical partners, fabricators,and multiple vendors for complex activations.
- Extremely strong organizational, planning, managerial and client interfacing skills.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must have an extremely strong and diverse experience base that directly applies to this multi-facetted, high demand position.
- Superior leadership and management skills and interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent ability to manage internal and external crews and staff.
- Very strong client/customer service experience and focus.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time-management skills.
- Ability to multi-task, manage priorities and commitments, and meet deadlines.
- Must be able to work in a collaborative manner both internally, and with clients.
- Proven ability to manage projects/eventswithin budget.
- Excellent judgment with the ability to pro-actively identify issues/obstacles and effectively create solutions.
- Ability to work independently as well as with account teams.
- Extremely strong working knowledge of and experience with contract processes, location permitting and insurance processes.
- Very strong and proven vendor relationships.
- Extremely strong work ethic and ability to thrive and enjoy a fast-paced, dynamic, on demand type work environment.
OTHER QUALITIES AND SKILLS
- Excellent computer skills that include Microsoft Office (including PowerPoint and Access), smartsheet, Google Docs, Sharepoint, Adobe Suite, Trello, Slack or other project management platforms.
- Must be flexible, and comfortable, in working non-traditional hours as needed (some nights and weekends).